Saturday 14 June 2014

Quick Philly Cheese-steak Buns





I needed to make supper fast one night and I came up with this quick Philly Cheese-Steak Bun. I have made similar sandwiches in the past but I would use leftover steak or cook a roast and slice the meat myself. I had never used deli meat before as I usually make most of my meals from scratch. I was pleasantly surprised how good it was using the deli meat. So for a quick weeknight meal give this sandwich a try, you will not be disappointed.



Ingredients:

1 red onion sliced
1 red pepper sliced into strips
1 green pepper sliced into strips
2 tablespoons butter
400-500 grams GOOD quality deli roast beef
Salt and pepper to taste
8 buns and butter for spreading
2-3 Cups Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese ( not store bought pre-shredded. Yes you have to shred the cheese yourself!!!)
½ Cup Velveeta cheese
⅓ Cup cream or ½ and ½ cream
2-3 minced jalapenos (optional)

Butter buns and arrange on a sheet pan, butter side up.
In a double boiler or in the microwave combine both types of cheese and cream and melt. If you like it a little more runny add more cream.If you like it more cheesey add more cheese, this is not rocket science!! Salt and pepper to taste. Add jalapenos.I prefer to use the double boiler as I can keep the cheese warm as I am cooking everything else.

Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a frying pan. Add onions and peppers. Cook until softened

Remove onions and peppers from the pan.

Melt the remaining butter in the fry pan. Add the roast beef slices and cook until warmed through.

Toast buns in the oven.

Top each bun with meat and then onion and pepper mixture. Drizzle the nice warm cheese sauce over top YUMMY!!

Print Recipe:
Quick Philly Cheese-Steak Buns

Melt butter and saute the onions and the peppers until soft. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove to a plate.

In a double boiler or in the microwave combine the cheese and cream. Melt and stir until creamy and smooth. Add more cream if the sauce is too thick. Add jalapenos and salt and pepper to taste.

Melt one tablespoon of butter in frying pan and cook meat for a few minutes.

Push the warm meat to the side of the pan and put the peppers back in the pan. to keep warm.

Toast buns in the oven. Layer meat then vegetables and then drizzle the sauce over top. 

No comments:

Post a Comment